Thursday, June 18, 2015

There was a time when air travel was fun and exciting.....

I'm sitting in an airport lounge, waiting for a plane that is a couple of hours late in arriving.
I have been checked, weighed, prodded, lined up, insulted and then prodded some more.
I have been waiting, subjected to the worst food from chains that should be ashamed of their usage of edible oil products (I think my old polyester pants classify as an edible oil product)....

I am hopeful that I will be going home tonight.

When I was in my 20's, I traveled a lot for business - for every day that I spent at home, I spent at least one on the road.   I loved it.

Remember CP Air and champagne breakfasts..... Orange juice and champagne on the 7 am flight to Montreal.

Remember arriving at the airport 20 minutes before your flight and being welcomed on board?  I miss those days.  Somehow, it has become important to the airlines that I arrive an hour and a half (at least) before they are able to deal with me, and when they do, they never fail to disappoint.

Remember isles of empty seats when you boarded, and a coat rack at the front for your suitbag?

Air Canada has recently hired extra staff to measure people's carry-ons.   Baby Air Canada (Westjet), will be following suit in a few months. Think about it ---- they hired people to harrass their customers!   All this, because, despite falling costs due to falling oil prices, AC has decided to increase profits by charging for any bag that you check.  The completely predictable response from travelers was to maximize their carry-ons ---- of course they would.

Loyalty programs were once put in place to encourage customers and increase good will.  The last time I cashed some points from a flight, ...... well i was the cheapest most expendable flier out there.   I was forced to fly past my destination and then catch a short turn around to my home.  When AC was late (of course), I was left stranded.   I do not believe that there is anywhere or anyone who would treat my business contract with them so dishonorably.

The worst AC flight that I have taken was one that turned into a #United flight.  We all know that United Breaks Guitars.  Most recently they evicted a young mother off of her flight because the child was noisy?   (Thats what children are, especially after waiting, waiting, waiting.....)   My flight was cancelled and we were left stranded.  No refund.   ---- I believe this is theft.

It seems that the airlines have used their influence with governments to use and abuse their customers, and that somehow, in this day and age, that is okay.

I wish I was more upbeat ----   maybe if and when I land in my home town...
.........   or teleporting becomes commercially available...     Beam me out Scotty!




No comments:

Post a Comment